Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 4 Readings

Wikipedia Article:
I have taken databases for granted! I knew that databases are super complex creations, but I didn't realize there were so many models. The heirarchical model was the easiest for me to understand, but apparently is more cumbersome than the relational model, which is was the most confusing to read about, but apparently works well in practice. Reading about how databases process transactions was interesting, but I had to read that section several times to understand it even a tiny bit.

Metadata:
I love this word! It sounds fun, and even more fun when you say "data data," because metadata is data about data. I've heard the term many times, had an idea of what meatadata was, but this article taught me enough to make my head spin. I have great respect for catalogers, archivists, whoever else has to create information about information.

The Dublin Core Data Model:
Way too technical for me! But I tried really hard to grasp what the author was trying to tell me, and I think it's telling me that the Dublin Core Data Model is trying to standardize descriotions of something in something for something.

No comments: