Friday, November 7, 2008

Week 10 Readings

Web Search Engines, Parts 1 & 2:

I like that these articles gave a fairly detailed "overview" of search engines without focusing on Google, as much of what we've dealt with in terms of searching has been Google-related. I found them easy to read and understand for the most part.


Current developments and future trends for the OAI protocol for metadata harvesting:

Too many acronyms for me! I got lost about halfway through the article, but the open language archives community and the sheet music consortium seem like neat projects. I will try to reread the article. Wish me luck!

The Deep Web:

I attended a workshop a few years ago called "The Invisible Web," which I'm thinking is a more marketable term for Deep Web. I wonder where I stashed the CDs I brought home from that workshop... I want to play around with this...

2 comments:

Dr. Pickle said...

I totally agree about the acronym overload. As librarians we are acronymically challenged.

Elizabeth G. said...

Hi Andrea,

It was great meeting you this weekend! I have to admit the OAI article confused me as well with all it's various acronyms. Glad to know I wasn't alone.

Liz